We're Hiring a Farmers' Market Assistant!
Countryside is hiring a Farmers' Market Assistant! See below for the full job posting and information on how to apply:
Our mission is to connect people, food and land by promoting a resilient, sustainable food culture through programs, advocacy and education. We are
a leading expert and innovator in conservation farming and community-based food programs, working in partnership with Cuyahoga Valley National
Park, its farms, community stakeholders, and food entrepreneurs.
About Countryside Farmers’ Markets
As an outgrowth of the Countryside Initiative farm program, we began managing farmers’ markets in 2004 and now operate 3 markets. 2018 is our fifteenth
season in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and our fourteenth season in Akron. The markets collectively generate over $1M in annual sales and
serve over 50,000 customers each year. Our markets are producer-only; vendors are required to be growing, producing or making the products
offered at the markets.
The purposes of Countryside Farmers’ Markets are three-fold:
- Provide a venue where local farmers, producers, artisans, and artists can sell their high-quality products directly to the consumer.
- Connect consumers with a wide array of locally grown and produced foods and goods in a setting that allows them to interact directly with the
grower or producer, thereby re-connecting them directly to the source of their food.
- Create a space that allows for community interaction and enjoyment, informal public education and civic engagement.
Essential Duties – Beginning as part-time, transitioning to full time in Spring 2019
- Implements the purpose, goals, and objectives of Countryside and Countryside Farmers’ Markets…
On-Site Market Management – 40%
- Coordinates on-site set up of farmers and vendors, information booth, musicians, cooking demonstrations, and various market events, and manages
the necessary supplies to do so effectively and efficiently;
- Acts as on-site customer service agent and behind-the-scenes troubleshooter;
- Acts as primary contact for market volunteers;
- Responsible for accurate record-keeping of cash, credit, and token transactions, and required data tracking of EBT sales and incentive distribution;
- Other duties as assigned.
Off-Site Market Management – 30%
- Responsible for accurate post-market reconciliation and tracking of market currencies, vendor fees and sales;
- Assist with managing vendor paperwork, including insurances and appropriate licenses and certifications;
- Coordinates participation in market programming, including: musicians, non-profit organizations, Countryside Kids activities, and special events;
- Manages tracking and implementation of the Local Loyalty program for customers;
- Assists with vendor and customer communications.
Volunteer Coordination – 30%
- Recruits, coordinates, and schedules volunteers using Volgistics;
- Communicates regularly with volunteer pool to encourage engagement and participation;
- Responsible for volunteer appreciation and recognition;
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date agreements for each volunteer, and develops position descriptions/Job Safety Analysis forms as needed;
- Attends trainings for Volunteer Supervisors held by Cuyahoga Valley National Park and implements best practices for safety protocols.
- High-level customer service skills, with an approachable, patient, and informative communication style.
- Meticulous cash handling and record keeping.
- Independent and task-oriented work ethic.
- Ability to enforce policies and procedures with vendors, volunteers, and customers in an assertive and tactful manner.
Must be available Saturdays, 6am to 2pm; weekday business hours are flexible. This is a permanent year-round position, beginning as part-time,
with the possibility of moving to full-time in spring 2019.
- Must be willing to do physical work and be capable of lifting objects ~ 50lbs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record and be comfortable driving a transit van.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and google apps required.
- Interest and background in local food and sustainable agriculture issues a plus.
$12 per hour, with potential for increase; plus benefits once full-time status begins.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled; immediate start date preferred. Send a one-page cover letter, one-page resume
and three professional references to Serena Jones, Farmers’ Market Manager, at email@example.com.