10 Great Buys for Labor Day (with Recipes!)
Labor Day is the time to get in on the summer goodness before it's gone. Here are some market items perfect for the holiday and some great recipes to use
- This chicken is making my mouth water ~ Barbecue Chicken with Alabama White Barbecue Sauce.
Brunty Farms is cutting a Labor Day deal of $1 off per pound of chicken leg quarters - PERFECT! Ground beef is also $1 off per pound. Pork Brats are 3 for $16 and Chicken Brats are 2 for $15.
- Tomatoes are still coming in strong! I've had my eye on this recipe for a while ~ Tomato Cobbler.
A get-together is the perfect time for it! Martha's Farm, Baker's Fresh Produce, Bazhaf Garten, MorningSide, Infinite Garden, Breezy Hill, Peter's Creek are all overflowing with a tremendous variety and quantity of 'maters.
- And you haven't missed your chance to save some of their goodness ~ Breezy Hill has bulk San Marzanos, perfect for preserving
and canning up until next year! A great project for a long weekend. Here are some quick tips on freezing them so that you are ready to sauce
in the coming months ~ Tomato Frenzy.
- Noon Sharpening is helping out with the tomato preserving ~ bring 10 knives/blades to be sharpened and get one free! There's nothing worse
than trying to cut a tomato with a dull knife...
- Sweet corn! Delicious simply grilled or steamed, with a little butter and salt. But this is making my mouth water ~ Kevin Gillespie's Creamless Creamed Corn with Mushrooms and Lemon.
- And this... Yotam Ottolenghi's Sweet Corn Polenta with Eggplant Sauce.
And this... Mexican Corn Salad. (Um. I REALLY like corn.) Stop by Huffman's Fruit Farm, Red Basket Farm and Peter's Creek Farm to get your corn. And, if you like corn as much as I do, pop over to McCoy's Custom Catering, where they are debuting Corn Fritters made from local corn and corn meal.
- Popsmith is featuring a Yellow Watermelon Fleur de Sel (sea salt) pop this week. It's my FAVORITE! For your Labor Day
festivities, take a box home for an easy dessert that sure to refresh and impress.
The market offers a fantastic diversity of unique varieties. My favorite: German Butterballs. They have a great creamy texture, a hint of buttery
flavor and a slightly sweet nuttiness. They're perfect simply boiled with a dash of salt and pepper. Or you could transform them into a delicious
salad ~ Potato Salad with 7-minute Eggs and Mustard Vinaigrette.
Stop by MorningSide Farm, Martha's Farm, Log Cabin Farm, Banzhaf Garten Organic Farm, Infinite Garden Farm, and Little Bean Farm and Larder to
check out their varieties.
- Speaking of eggs, who doesn't love a good deviled egg? Perfect if you are entertaining, or need to bring a dish. Try these ~
Virginia Willis' Deviled Eggs. Mud Run Farm, Brunty Farms, Peter's Creek Farm, Martha's Farm and Log Cabin Farm all have delicious
- Have you ever grilled a peach? The caramelization is basically magic in your mouth. And this year's peaches have been OUTSTANDING.
Try this guy to experience dessert divinity ~ Grilled Peach Splits.
Get to the market early and get in line at Huffman's to grab some of the goodness.
Let us know what you make for Labor Day with your market goodies! Post on Facebook and tag Countryside Conservancy, or post to Instagram and hastag
See you on Saturday!